English - This term we are using the Power of Reading text ‘Cosmic' by Frank Cottrell-Boyce as our stimulus to develop our writing skills.
So far, we have:
- Analysed the personality and characteristics of Liam; the main character in our story. We used this information to write character profiles, using descriptive language.
- Wrote letters to Liam, in role as dad, offering him advice on how to make good choices and stop finding himself in tricky situations.
- Written extra scenes whereby Liam gets himself into yet another cringeworthy situation by pretending to be an adult. We used this writing opportunity to use dialogue in a narrative and apply our skills in punctuating speech (direct, indirect and isolated).
- Discussed how authors are inspired by, and 'magpie' ideas from other authors. This led to a comparison between the text winners in 'Cosmic' and the golden ticket winners in 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'. This enabled us to learn about and practise using colons to introduce bullet-pointed lists.
During the rest of this term, we will continue reading the text in order to support the development of our writing skills, which will include:
- Producing winners' announcements.
- Planning and writing an itinerary with effective sentence openers.
- Planning and writing a persuasive letter.
- Writing our own chapters of 'Cosmic'.
* BBC Bitesize is a fantastic, easy to access resource for use at home should your child want further practise with any element of our English learning.
Here is a link: BBC BITESIZE - ENGLISH