Every month all of the children from Reception to Year 1 get together in mixed groups to discuss issues which affect the school and themselves. This week we discussed the school improvement focuses which we have had this year and what the children feel should happen next. They raised some very valid and interesting points such as;
- Children are more into reading.
- There are more fun books in classes.
- Book areas are better and more of them in class.
- Books used for learning.
- Like reading whole class books.
- More rewards for reading a certain amount of books. It is an incentive.
- Like the phonics lessons - think that they are well taught.
- Reading more of a variety of books – Roald Dahl, David Walliams, Michael Morpurgo.
- Power of reading – enjoying spending more time on one book. Learning new vocabulary.
Parental engagement -
- Parents are in more to help with reading.
- There are more opportunities for adults to come into school.
- Class assemblies are positive.
- More after school meetings for working parents.
- Fun activities for parents to get involved in.
- Wider range of subjects for parents to be involved in – design, science, PE.
For more information have a look at our pupil voice section of the website.